Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Little Shot of Espresso!

Our trip yesterday was long overdue and was also way too short. I am thankful, just the same, for our visit and that everything is still going well for our Baby Bella. We found our little bundle of joy doing about the same and were able to enjoy her kangaroo therapy with Lori. The nurses (or sometimes Lori) will first change her diaper, check that her vital signs are okay, and if so, then hand her off to Lori. One of the main things they must check each time is Bella’s body temperature. Before Bella leaves her heated crib, it is important to make sure her body temperature is stable so she can maintain it on her own for the session. During this therapy, her temperature is always monitored and if it starts dropping she must be placed back into her warm crib.

Bella still seems to really enjoy the kangaroo sessions. She becomes wide awake and bright-eyed and is very alert while Lori holds her. It is usually her feeding time, as well. This makes for a good photo op!



I do believe that this is everyone's favorite time with Bella! Her eyes are open more and she will look up at Lori and follow noises with her eyes. Sometimes, she even seems to “smack” her lips like she’s tasting the milk that is going into her tummy through the feeding tube.



I do have to say that our little Bella wakes up in a much better mood than her Nana. Everyone in my family knows that if I don’t have my coffee first thing in the morning... and I do mean the VERY first thing, then I am not a happy camper. Let’s just say that the phrase “when momma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy” applies here! Trust me, my family WANTS me to have my caffeine every morning! With all the bad stuff you hear about caffeine we never think about the positive side of our extra shots of espresso, do we? But a little caffeine in the morning is definitely a good thing for me and undoubtedly the doctors believe it is a good thing for preemies, too. On the chart behind Bella’s crib is a listing of some of her stats and information, including a listing of her medicines. The only thing listed for Bella under medicines is “caffeine”!!!! Apparently, it is used as a stimulate to aid in her breathing!!! WOW, I always knew it was a good thing but now I’m wondering... do they mix it with her milk???


Bella seems to really love it when Lori gently strokes her precious little face!

Photobucket

1 comment:

MoDLin said...

I too was amazed when I learned about the use of caffeine in the NICU. It is used often and to great benefit. Mixed with milk, though, I think it's called cappuccino! :o)